Saturday, July 18, 2009

Finding me-self in the Praha

I am sleeping when the door to my dorm room opens.
“Up!” says the maid.
“Excuse me?”
She lifts her arms.
“UP!”
“Oh. Okay then.”
I get up and she changes my sheets. I lean into the closet to find my outfit for the day and I feel a hand tap my rear. I look up to see her laughing as she exits. After getting over the bewilderment from being awoken from a dream and being fondled by a Czech maid, I go to school. SCHOOL. What a foreign concept! I take the train, which people ride basically for free on the honors system, and go by the sites I have walked and gotten lost in several times already.

Castles, cathedrals, general gorgeous scenery:



Weird art: Franz Kafka:

And architecture:
Cubism:



Cobble stone streets (my poor high heels have not left the suitcase)Fashion:

Chandeliers:

I had a thought of buying one if I could find a tiny and more importantly cheap one, meaning less than $50, to like, put next to my plant or use for parties or something … but unfortunately, I couldn’t score any Swarovski crystals for a good price. But this is good because I don’t have the additional self-imposed challenge of figuring out how to get it home.

Other than that, besides meeting some fantastic people and getting some edumacation in my other secret identity of writing, here are other things I accomplished in Prague:

Aside from the few goulash indulgences, there were days when I had this diet:
Breakfast: a donut. Lunch: A hot dog Dinner: pepperoni pizza. Snacks: ice cream and a bag of mnm’s.
The next day, when I had a piece of lettuce on my sandwich I got concerned I was getting off track with too many vitamins. However, with all the MacDonalds and KFC locations, I have not once succumbed to homesickness for America in that way. Woohoo!

And finally, I have confirmed the discovery my “inner travel child.” This comes with the knowledge of a) Though it is hard at the time, I like being alone, because for some reason this is when I have the most fun, b) I am now a big fan of yoga, which was offered for free twice a week and whether because of the location or the humidity or the teacher, made me hooked on it and even getting a little more fond of nature (of which there are several spots in Prague...not just mowed grass, but even some trees) and c) Perhaps this is bad, but often I can only fully appreciate things later by looking at the pictures. I have a knack for creating juxtapositions in pictures, particularly with advertisements I find funny.

I enjoy this a lot actually. Maybe too much. But in Prague, there are no boundaries.



3 comments:

Mr. Phil said...

I just hope that all the people of Austria appreciate that such a superstar in classical music has graced their cultural hamlet with her presence.

Soak it up, my mondo travellin' babe e.
enjoy yourself and the culture(s)

then when you get on back to the good ole U.S. of A.

you can listen to the song "American Girl" by Tom Petty, enjoy some Sarah Palin jokes, get into Judge Sonya from the block,
baseball, apple pie, the big dig and the 405.


The Best Is Yet To Come.

All Hail Liz!!

Yo dad e.o.

&

Mr. bud e.o.

keel said...

Dear Bizza,
you are such a great traveler! Your pictures tell such a clear story. Glad you will be home soon and can fill in with lots more stories.
love,
aunt becky

karin said...

ahmmm..Mr. Philster...Prague is in the Czech Republic....I don't see any mention of her having been in Austria yet...although Prague was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire...Glad you're enjoying the city. I've not made it to Prague yet, but my parents really liked the city, although they saw it before it became overrun with KFC's and Starbucks'. Oh, and if you have some time, the tour of the "underground city" in Prague is supposed to be really interesting. Also, make sure you try some beer from Pils. That's where "pilsner" beer originated. It supposedly tastes better there??? (You know I eat and drink my way through Europe!)

Which mountain did you get up to in Switzerland? There's not enough of the outlying range for me to tell which one it is. (Yeah, I know...you've been to one snow covered Alp peak, you've seen them all!!)Hopefully, you indulged in some good chocolate while you were there. Now you can see why I always like to go "back home".

Enjoy....if I remember correctly, you were going to Vienna AFTER Prague.....have a great time...and if you were there before, I hope you had a great time.